hope sign

hope sign

Monday, March 9, 2015

Strength In The Waiting

I have started reading a new book called Seasons of Your Heart by Macrina Wiederkehr.  Her writings of poetry and reflections are just beautiful.  


I want to share one of her poems.  I keep going back and reading it over and over.  Truthfully, I keep rereading everything that I have read thus far.  Not wanting to move on because I love it so much but at the same time, looking forward to what is coming next.  (Hope that makes sense.)

Slowly
she celebrated the 
sacrament of letting go
first she surrendered her
green
then the orange, yellow, and
red
finally she let go of her brown
shedding her last leaf
she stood empty and silent,
stripped bare.
Leaning against the winter
sky
she began her vigil of trust

And Jesus said:
Why do you worry about clothes?
Remember the flowers growing in 
the fields; they do not fret about
what to wear; yet I assure you not
even Solomon in all his royal robes
was dressed like of these.

Shedding her last leaf
she watched its journey to
the ground.
She stood in silence
wearing   the   color   of
emptiness,
her branches wondering:
How do you give shade with 
so much gone?

And Jesus said:
Do not be troubled or needlessly
concerned.

And then 
the sacrament of waiting 
began.
The sunrise and sunset
watched with tenderness.
Clothing her with silhouettes
they kept her hope alive.
They helped her understand
that
her vulnerability
her dependence and need
her emptiness
her readiness to receive
were giving her a new kind 
of beauty.
Every morning and every
evening
they stood in silence
and celebrated together
the sacrament of waiting

And Jesus said:
Now if that is how God cares for the 
wild flowers in the fields which are
her today and gone tomorrow, will
He not all the more care for you...?



Oh to trust God the way nature does.  I can see the barren trees outside my office window and now I look at them with a longing to be like them.  My arms outstretched toward heaven, patiently waiting for the Lord to move.  I like how she puts it, "The sacrament of letting go" and "The sacrament of waiting."  

We have been in a long winter, that is for sure.  It has been the coldest winter and so many of us have become impatient for spring warmth, flowers, grass, new buds, leaves on the trees, the splendor of spring. In my anticipation for spring, I want to cherish what the winter has taught me.  

What has this winter taught you? (You need to live in a warmer climate...lol)  Throughout life we go through many seasons.  This is what I have learned and will continue to learn and embrace.

They that wait upon the LORD
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with
wings as eagles'
They shall run and 
not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint.
-Isaiah 40:31 NKJV

No comments:

Post a Comment