hope sign

hope sign

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

The Golden Rule

When I was a little girl, my mom bought me and my siblings a record that put the 10 commandments, proverbs and bible verses to song.  One that I sang to my own children and now my grandchildren is about how to treat others.

Do unto others
as you would have
them do unto you.

Be kind to others
and you'll find
that they'll be
kind too.

Don't make a promise
unless it's one you 
can keep.

The golden rule is 
simple,
It means what you
sow you will reap.

Now, I wrote that while singing the words...helps me remember.  

We as a country are divided.  We have so many things that we disagree about.  From politics to morality to religion...you put three people in a room and you will have three different opinions.  Every time I turn on the TV, radio, computer...NEGATIVITY, HATE, DISCORD, NAME CALLING, GLOOM, DESPAIR, SIN...the list goes on and on.  It's overwhelming.  

My beautiful little sister, Cheryl, one of my beautiful nieces, Lauren
and my beautiful baby girl, Kelcie
How can we teach our children about kindness and love if we never show it?  How can we show it unless we know it?  

I tell my children (even though they are grown), "I cannot control what others do, I can only control what I do."  "How others treat me cannot dictate how I treat them."  It's a hard lesson to learn and even harder to live out. 

Looking forward to summer time play outside 

As professing Christians, it is not an option.  We can disagree with someone but we have not been given the right to be unkind.  When I am unkind, I am not showing God's love to anyone.  


My challenge for you today is - Go out of your way to be kind to someone.  Make an extra effort.  Especially if it is someone who isn't kind to you.  You may be the only Jesus they see today.  It could change their day and it will change yours!!!  


No comments:

Post a Comment