hope sign

hope sign

Friday, February 6, 2015

It Can Be A Joyful Chaos

Baby Bo with his Great Great Pop VanDyke

How wonderful and pleasant it is
when brothers live together in harmony!
For harmony is as precious as
the anointing oil 
that was poured over Aaron's head,
that ran down his beard
and onto the border of his robe.
Harmony is as refreshing as the 
dew from Mount Hermon
that falls on the mountains of Zion.
And there the LORD has
pronounced his blessing,
even life everlasting.
-Psalms 133

I love to see multi-generations come together.  When I see my grandchildren interacting with my grandmother or Bo's grandparents, joy fills me to the very top.  


Lukie and his Great Great Mom Mom Alice


Baby Bo with his Great Great Mom Mom VanDyke
It's always a good day in the home when everyone does stuff together, joyfully. When sisters are helping each other, brother is helping Dad, Mom is of course helping everyone...that is a good day.  

It is not everyday that this happens.  The verse says that it is as precious as the anointing oil...special, rare, valuable, a gift, something to cherish.  

When I read this scripture this morning, my mind flooded me with memories of all 3 of my kids growing up.  The sacred moments of being together, laughing, joking around, telling stories, united.  I still enjoy those moments today when we have the opportunity to be together.  Now we have more family members but that only sweetens the pot.  


Kelcie and Bubba (Gabe)

Papa Estep, Jacob and Lauren

Henry and Jacob...cousins and best buds

When the Estep family gets together, it's loud and can be overwhelming for a newcomer (so I've been told).  As the grandchildren have grown up, the stories told around the table have become more animated (if you can believe that). If you have ever seen my dad preach, you will see where they get this from.  The laughter startles the babies (thanks Mom) and if you are trying to watch TV, well, you are out of luck. It is joyful chaos.  When we all get together, if my grandmother is there, it is 5 generations strong.  I love it!  

CeCe...Juliana and Aaron in the background

Jake...not sure but it makes me laugh

Yes, Kimi and Phillip had perms/fros...Ronald and Christian are just crazy

Jeannie and Cheryl...Webb family reunion (Uncle Bill still had dark hair)

Those precious moments are moments that I cherish.  Remembering times as young preachers kids, the adventures, the laughter, the people who have touched our lives.  As one generation helps to shape the next generation...not to make carbon copies but you can see their fingerprint on the lives of their children and grandchildren and so on.  Focusing on what unites us, not what separates us.  
My beautiful Grandmother, Mom Mom Alice
This is her fingerprint on my life

Hopefully as families live in harmony, it will go from the home to the community, to the church, to the nation and then to the world.  


No comments:

Post a Comment