hope sign

hope sign

Monday, July 7, 2014

New Everyday Routine

My 4th of July JOY

Love his goofy grin

I looked over and he was smiling at me.
They own me!!




I hope you all had an amazing Fourth of July weekend.  We did here at the VanDyke home.  I love this wonderful country that I have been so blessed to be a part of.  

I have been thinking a lot about, 

"How do I set the tone of my day?"... 

"What's the first thing I do on most mornings?"... 

"Does my first action dictate (as a rule), the thought pattern of my day?".

To be honest, I usually wake up, grab my phone, head off to the bathroom, read the news highlights, Facebook, maybe do a puzzle and then I will start my devotion.  This is how I start my morning...backwards (except bathroom, it is a MUST!).  

I realized the other day, that I get so upset sometimes by what I read first that by the time I get to my devotional, I am in no mood to learn or absorb what the Spirit may be trying to say.  

Some may think that this is crazy...maybe it is for you but I have noticed a direct connection to my day, with what I first look at or read.  

It's like on Sunday Mornings when I am preparing myself to lead worship at church, I don't get up and listen to anything but Worship music...preparing myself and my spirit for the task.  So, I will listen to William McDowell, Tye Tribbett, Selah, Tasha Cobbs, Andre' Crouch...the list goes on and on.  I have a play list titled, "Sunday Morning".  Now, Sunday is not the only day I listen to this play list but I do listen to some of it every Sunday morning.  

Our everyday lives should start with what builds us up, not what tears us down. If you start your everyday with articles about the decline of the family, church and everything you hold dear...you will be depressed, agitated, ready for a fight.  It will impact your job, your attitude, your goal setting, your interactions with your kids/spouse.  

I am learning and implementing a new everyday routine.  Instead of ending with the GOOD NEWS, I am starting with it.  I have realized that most days, I don't have time for the rest before I need to truly start my day.  I think that was true with my devotion time before.  I would read the bad news and not have time for the good.  

But you, O LORD, 
are a God of 
compassion and mercy,
slow to get angry
and filled with
unfailing love 
and faithfulness.
Psalms 86:15 NLT

I am so thankful for His mercy and compassion.  I believe starting my day off this way will help in not becoming burnt out or depressed, it should change the way I treat others and myself.  No, it won't make all the bad days go away but it will change their impact on my life.  

I pray you have a blessed day.  Rest in the arms of the God of compassion and mercy, knowing that He is ever mindful of you...loving you.



No comments:

Post a Comment