hope sign

hope sign

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Personal Responsibility


One of my best friends husband getting baptized
There are times when we feel like we have no control over what we do, say, act, react...it's out of our control.  We can't help the way we think, what pops into our heads, what we find funny and acceptable.  After all, we are only human.  We were born into sin, shapen in iniquity...right?  Even Paul said, " When I want to do good, I don’t; and when I try not to do wrong, I do it anyway."-Romans 7:19.  That sounds reasonable enough to me.  I CAN'T HELP IT!!!  I blame it on Adam and Eve...that's my story and I'm sticking to it. 

My husband calls it, no personal responsibility.  It's not my fault, it's how I am or it's someone else's fault, I can't help it.  

My Son in Law, Aaron getting baptized

If we look into Romans 8 we will find that the battle, the war within, between the old man (one who has no control) and the new man (one living in victory) is all but won.  You see, either one can come out on top.  Truthfully, it is up to us.  God did His part.  He sent Jesus and Jesus died on the cross, taking sins authority away.  "He did this so that the just requirement of the law would be fully satisfied for us, who no longer follow our sinful nature but instead follow the Spirit."-Romans 8:4 NLT.  The victory is stated in verse 5.  It amazes me that we don't quote this scripture all the time.  If you struggle like most of us do with the old and the new, quote this scripture with verse 6.  "Those who are dominated by the sinful nature think about sinful things, but those who are controlled by the Holy Spirit think about things that please the Spirit. So letting your sinful nature control your mind leads to death. But letting the Spirit control your mind leads to life and peace."-Romans 8:5,6 NLT.  

Our beautiful Faith getting baptized

We can control what we do, say, act, react, the way we think, what pops into our head, what we find funny and acceptable.  It's all about what controls us.  Is it the old man, the fallen nature, the sinful nature?  It can be the Holy Spirit.  The scripture is very blunt.  If we let the sinful nature have control, it will lead to death but if we let the Holy Spirit take control of not only our actions but our thoughts, we will have life and peace!!!  

Who or what is controlling your life, thoughts?  Are you dominated by the sinful nature or by the Holy Spirit?  

Grace getting baptized

I encourage you to read all of Romans 8.  Here's how it ends...

"Can anything ever separate us from Christ’s love? 
Does it mean he no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death? 36 (As the Scriptures say, “For your sake we are killed every day; we are being slaughtered like sheep.”[o]) 
37 No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us.
38 And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[p] neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. 
39 No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord."-Romans 8:35-39 NLT  

There is hope for all of us. 

Ryan getting baptized...
One of ours since his birth.
He recommitted his life to Christ.
Making that choice to feed the Spirit.

The choice is ours.  I am not sure why this is what is on my heart today.  I guess I need to be reminded to feed the Spirit and starve the sinful nature.  The war within is real but the longer I spend feeding the Spirit good food, the easier it becomes.  

Have a blessed day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment