hope sign

hope sign

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Be Gracious In Your Speech


Luke Aaron...
I love his little face.


I have started today's post a couple of times in my head and then typing on the computer, only to delete my words.  There are times that our feelings need to be kept to ourselves and not shared with the world. We open our mouths before we process our thoughts and make a mess of things.

Colossians 4:5-6 MSG
Use your heads as you live and work among outsiders.
Don't miss a trick.
Make the most of every opportunity.
Be gracious in your speech.
The goal is to bring out the best in others 
in a conversation, not put them down,
not cut them out.

Paul was writing from prison.  Verses 2-4 I love from the NLT, it says:

Devote yourselves to prayer
with an alert mind and 
a thankful heart.
Pray for us, too, that God
will give us many opportunities to speak
about his mysterious
plan concerning Christ.
That is why I am here in chains.
Pray that I proclaim
this message as clearly as I should.

He is instructing Christians from his prison cell with some other believers.  He sees God's hand at work here.  He is looking for a way to speak into the lives of the lost, even in his chains.  

I was going to write a blog about my frustration with the constant articles from Christian magazines about how the church has hurt so many.  I was going to point out that we should focus on how the church has healed so many more.  I was upset, angry thoughts swirling in my head.  Then I came upon this scripture.  It stopped me in my tracks.  I have to be careful in my rebuke, it can destroy.  Does it still upset me? YES.  But what good will my words do today?  The scripture tells me to be gracious in my speech (or writing).  If Paul can pray for an opportunity to talk about Jesus, while in chains, I can control my tongue, while in the comfort of my home.  

Pop and Luke...
Wish I could read his mind

Talk about the blessings of the LORD.  Build up the faith in your community.  Let the world know, just how good God is.  Live like you believe it.  Be gracious in your speech.  You never know when your words will plant a seed of faith in someones life.  

Be blessed today.



Baby Bo is growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment