hope sign

hope sign

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Henry Knows Best...So He Thinks


Now here is a little boy who is wishing Spring into being.  He told me yesterday that the snow has melted and that means it is warm outside.  It was time to go blow bubbles.  He was so sure and insistent that I put on my coat, scarf, furry slippers and he put on his rain boots.  I told him that it was going to be cold but he thought he was warm enough in his footie pajamas.  So, like any good Grammy, I let him find out for himself.  We walked outside and the air was still, no breeze at all.  He looks at me and says, "See, it's warm".  I brought his coat out with us, just in case.  

Henry started blowing bubbles and then asked me to blow some because his hands were getting wet. After he caught a couple of bubbles, he stopped, looked at me and said, "Whew, I think I'm turning into a Popsicle."  He was more than willing to put on his coat then.  He even put up the hood.  Hopefully, lesson learned, for now.  

How many times do we do that as adults?  We think we know because of what we presume has happened.  We make judgements when we don't have all the information.  Henry just saw that the snow had melted.  He knows that snow melts when it gets warmer outside but he doesn't know that snow melts even when it's still really cold to us.  Just because there isn't snow on the ground doesn't mean its time for t shirts, shorts and flip flops.  

I find myself, a lot, worried about things that haven't happened.  I know just enough to cause turmoil within.  I know just enough of what could happen to think up different scenarios in my mind that build fear and anxiety within my soul.  I am constantly saying to myself, "Philippians 4:8 Kimi!!!".  That is my correction and protection.  

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.-Philippians 4:8 NKJV

Why is it so important for us to remember to meditate on these things?  Because, like Grammy knew that Henry needed a coat, God knows what is best for us.  He knows what we need to do in order to have a sound mind.  What we think of, how we think, is totally connected to how we feel and how we live.  

When my mind is full of fear and "Kimi Scenarios", I actually can become depressed and withdrawn.  Isn't it crazy how something that MIGHT happen can control how I live today?  I have to be proactive and purposefully think/meditate on the true, just, pure, lovely, good, virtuous and praiseworthy things in my life.  Things that lift up, not tear down.  Things that bring joy, not sorrow.  I need to use my magnificent imagination to build hope in my life...to build faith...for rejoicing...for praise!

I encourage you today, rest in the knowledge that you are loved.  Rest in joy that you are God's child and no matter what you are going through, He is with you, loving you.  Think on these things.  

Welcome, Gabriel Asher Miller
My newest great nephew.
He is our March baby.  


No comments:

Post a Comment