hope sign

hope sign

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

STOP


I'm back!!  I have been a little removed from writing lately.  Just didn't seem to have much to say. Sometimes we just need to be quiet and let our minds and tongues rest.  I think that is what I was doing. Trying to read and just be.

In our world, we have such a hard time with silence.  We are usually doing something, going somewhere, talking to someone via cellphone, iPad, computer.  We communicate constantly.  We text, talk, Skype, Face Time, Snapchat, Words with Friends (I Rock at this game),...I have several apps on my phone to text my husband in all different ways.  Even when we are alone, we are not alone.  And if all else fails, we watch TV.

I remember when my kids were little and the noise levels in the house were so high that I would go outside to just listen to the silence or I would send them outside just to hear my own thoughts.  My oldest, Jake would follow me around talking.  He didn't care what I was doing, where I was going, he would just follow.  One day, I told my husband to watch us.  At the time, we lived in an old house with LOTS of door ways.  So I just started walking through all the door ways.  I made circles and circles and circles.  Jake never asked why I was walking around in circles, he just kept following and talking to me.  Finally Bo said, "Boy, give your mom a break".  Jake was so insulted by his dads request.  Totally hurt his feelings.  I asked him why he didn't say anything about me going in circles.  His response...just like any boys..."I don't know.  It didn't bother me."  This story still cracks me up.


We are like that.  We walk and talk and talk and do and do, not realizing that we are going in circles. Never stopping to enjoy our journey, always trying to get somewhere else but ultimately ending up back where we started.  Sometimes, we need to just STOP.

Take a little time to just let the LORD speak to you.  Turn off the devices and put away (as much as you can) the distractions.  Find time to let the LORD speak and you just listen.  It's okay to sit in silence, being in His presence, focusing on Him.  Opening up His WORD to learn of Him.  I find that in these quiet times, He is strengthening me for the journey.


31 But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31 KJV

I have always loved that scripture.  I love the song, especially when my older sister sings it.  Teach me LORD, teach me LORD, to wait.  Powerful.  I love the scripture that precedes verse 31.  Because no matter where we are on the journey, no matter if we are going in circles and don't know how to stop or we have went down the wrong path, God knows, God cares and He will help us.  

27-31 
Why would you ever complain, O Jacob,
    or, whine, Israel, saying,
God has lost track of me.
    He doesn’t care what happens to me”?
Don’t you know anything? Haven’t you been listening?
God doesn’t come and go. God lasts.
    He’s Creator of all you can see or imagine.
He doesn’t get tired out, doesn’t pause to catch his breath.
    And he knows everything, inside and out.
He energizes those who get tired,
    gives fresh strength to dropouts.
For even young people tire and drop out,
    young folk in their prime stumble and fall.
But those who wait upon God get fresh strength.
    They spread their wings and soar like eagles,
They run and don’t get tired,
    they walk and don’t lag behind.

Isaiah 40:27-31 MSG

I love the power of God.  I love it when He moves and we are shaken to our core.  But there is something about the quiet moving of the Spirit of the LORD that changes us.  It's when we open up ourselves and allow Him to remove what needs to be removed and remake us.  It's in the quiet, one on one when He reveals His heart and ours.  It's where our lives become one...the quiet, intimate times.  

So, if you find yourself, like me, needing some quiet time...it's okay.  Maybe God has something to say and needs your undivided attention or maybe He just needs some time with you.  Bo and I don't always talk when we are sitting next to one another, but it's just his presence that I need.  


No comments:

Post a Comment