hope sign

hope sign

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Cleaning House...Taking Inventory


Henry loves to help Grammy vacuum

Sometimes I go through my house with a notebook and pen, looking at it as if I were getting it ready to sell.  My purpose is that, whatever I see that is not up to par, write it down in the book of "Things To Be Done".  Does it mean that everything gets done immediately?  No.

Last week, I was cleaning my Master bathroom when I looked up at the curtains and walls and was like...YUCK!!!  So my list started in my head.  When the bathroom was scrubbed, I stood with my notebook and started my list.  Master Bathroom Needs...Besides a complete gut!!  That is how my list started.  I then got specific.



It's good to go through and make lists of what needs fixing and spruced up.  My hair dresser/best friend tells me that nothing ages a woman like her hair do.  If your hair is still stuck in 1980...you look 40-60 years old...get a new do.  You will feel better, look better and it is refreshing.  It is a sign that you care about yourself...that's not a bad thing.  Same thing with your home...take a room at a time, spruce it up.  A little paint, a couple new throw pillows, de-clutter or even just rearrange the old furniture...it is a sign that you care about your home.

I do the same thing with my spiritual life.  This is a little more difficult because it's so real.  It's not about a room or a hair do...it's about eternity.  Oh yeah, and it is not fun like redecorating a room or going to the beauty shop.  This is a soul searching, honest, come to Jesus moment that can be so convicting and heart wrenching.

How is my spiritual life...am I really living like I should be...are my motives pure...am I in the Word like I should be...how much time am I really spending in prayer...do I reach out enough...what are my priorities...am I faithful to God and His church...questions, we might not like the answers to.

Our Bishop and Pastor Andre Jordan from Salisbury

Each week during the Eucharist service we have a time of confession.  This is acknowledging that we often fall short.  Not only in things that we do but in things that we don't do.  But the most wonderful thing about our Savior, He is right there, forgiving us and loving us.  Where sin abounds, grace does much more abound.  I love to see my dad/Bishop teach on this subject.  He is very animated and leaps with the sin part and then jumps way further with the grace...brings it home.  When we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness-1 John 1:9 NKJV.  We have this blessed assurance each and every day.  So after our confession, our Bishop...a vessel of the LORD, assures us that our sin has been forgiven.  Such a holy moment.  We are then ready to receive the body and blood of our Savior.

Each week we enter into Holy Communion with Him, it's like we are taking our little notebook around our home, looking for what needs fixing.  What is out of place, unsightly, ugly...God makes right, beautiful, clean.  He allows me to start each week, fresh.  What an amazing God.

He makes all things new

I pray as you take a spiritual inventory today or tomorrow, you rest in His unfailing grace.  If you allow Him, He will clean you all up, changing your life forever.



No comments:

Post a Comment