hope sign

hope sign

Monday, June 17, 2013

Cool Hand On A Hot Head

The Great Men in My Life
Aaron (Son), Bo (Husband), Jake (Son), Daddy (Daddy)
When I got married almost 24 years ago, my father told my husband to be that he would have to be a cool hand on a hot head.  Yes, I have been known to have a temper.  As a little girl, if you made me mad, I would just hit you.  I was a girl of few words and hard fists.  I felt very deeply and I was too young to know how to deal with these feelings.  My father would get so frustrated with me as he would have to keep correcting me over and over again for the same offense…hitting.  I wouldn't punch in the face, it was usually a punch in the arm or stomach.  Thankfully, I was smart enough not to attack someones face.
He accepted the "Cool Hand" Challenge.

I was reading 1Peter 5:8-11 in the Message Bible and it starts off with "Keep a cool head."  That made me laugh.  I was taken back to 1989 when my father gave Bo that advice about me.  I have since cooled and I have learned to speak what I feel (if necessary).  I am a firm believer that everything doesn't need to be spoken but sometimes it must be for things to be healed or understood.

My Girls
Kelcie, Scovia, Juliana

In order to "keep a cool head" or to be a "cool hand on a hot head" we must be proactive.
Proverbs 15:1 NKJV says, "A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger."
Message, "A gentle response defuses anger, but a sharp tongue kindles a temper-fire." 
The message translation lines up with what my father told Bo.  He was being proactive in telling him that if he wanted to have a peaceful home with this young lady, he needed to watch his tone and tongue.  So many of us need to do the same.  We get our feelings hurt and we lash out in anger, next thing we know, something that started off small has now turned into a full blown war.  This happens a lot in families, the ones who are closest to us get the explosive anger and relationships can be forever changed because of this.

Proverbs 15:4 MSG, "Kind words heal and help; cutting words wound and maim."

Proverbs 15:5 MSG, "Perceptive words spread knowledge; fools are hollow-there's nothing to them." 

Proverbs 15:18 MSG, "Hot tempers start fights; a calm, cool spirit keeps the peace."

Proverbs 15:23 MSG, "Congenial conversations-what a pleasure!  The right word at the right time-beautiful!"

Proverbs 15:26 MSG, "God can't stand evil scheming, but he puts words of grace and beauty on display."

Proverbs 15:28 MSG, "Prayerful answers come from God-loyal people; the wicked are sewers of abuse."

I know it was a lot of scriptures but how we talk and relate to others, shows our heart condition.  I want to encourage you today to be a cool hand on a hot head.  Show love even to the "unlovable".  Be a sower of God's love into the lives of those around you.  I hope you have a wonderful Monday and that your week just keeps getting better and better.

Pictures that calm me…ahhhh

No comments:

Post a Comment