hope sign

hope sign

Friday, January 25, 2013

To be an Original...

I often wish I was one of those Mom's who has beautiful words of wisdom for her kids.  Words that will inspire them into greatness.  Words that they will quote to their children and bring clarity and direction.  Little tidbits that could be made into a magnet or poster.  I guess you could say that I would like to be an original, profound speaker.  But, instead I come up with, "That is a lie from the pit of hell" or "I'll knock a knot on your head".  I can quote a movie, "He doesn't know whether to scratch his watch or wind his but" (Steal Magnolias) or I can quote someone else, "Don't uncover what God has already covered by the blood" (Lori Willey).  Sometimes I feel like King Solomon when he was a teenager, "That which has been is what will be, That which is done is what will be done, And there is nothing new under the sun." Ecclesiastes 1:9 NKJV

Found this on Pinterest or someone sent it to
me, not sure which but it rings true
When I sit down to write, I can hear many voices floating around in my head.  I hear my mom, dad, husband, teachers, friends, children, siblings and things that I have read or watched on TV or in a movie.  All of these things influence my thoughts and my writing.  I question, "is this truly an original thought?" I am so much like my Mom that there are times that I don't know if I thought it or if Mom said it.  My sisters and I talk over each other when we are together that I am not sure who said what.  My father is very profound and I will quote him until the day I die.  "God has never given us a license to be unkind."-Bishop Ronald Estep, and one of my favorites,  "You can give without loving but you cannot love without giving"-Bishop Ronald Estep.  Now I don't know if these are an original Bishop Ronald Estep and I don't care.  They spoke to me and that is all that matters.

Dove Chocolates make me sound profound
and artsy..lol
I would say to my children before they would leave the house with friends, cousins or each other (cousins and each other can be more trouble than friends), "Remember WHO you are and WHOSE you are."  I wanted that to get into their spirits.  Did it help?  Not sure, they got themselves into a whole heck of a lot of trouble but I don't know what those words kept them from either.  I am just left to wonder.

So I guess it doesn't matter if I am an original or not.  I still would like to be profound with wit and grace but I am what God has made me.  I will continue to grow and some days I may sound profound to others and some days I will sound simple minded.  I guess the most profound things I can say are found in the WORD of God.  That is always appropriate and gives us clarity and direction.
 Micah 6:8 NKJV "He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does the LORD require of you But to do justly, To love mercy, And to walk humbly with your God?"


No comments:

Post a Comment