hope sign

hope sign

Thursday, April 7, 2016

Is it the way I talk or the way I walk?





Is the way I am living my life giving honor to God or is it taking the name of the Lord in vain?  

This is a question or my take on a question from the devotional I read this morning.  

To take the name of the Lord in vain is so much more than our speech...it's how we take His name as a way of life.  

When I became a Christian, I made the decision to be Christ-like...taking on His identity...His ways become my ways...His thoughts, my thoughts...His sufficiency...His qualifications.  His gift to me is His identity.  How am I using, taking care, appreciating this precious, life altering gift from God?

Growing up I never gave this commandment much thought.  Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain= NO CUSSING!!! No saying, "Oh My God" or shouting out "Jesus Christ" in anger or amazement...(still a good rule of thumb).  I never thought it went much deeper than that.  It was a pretty easy commandment to keep since I knew that saying such things would lead to a pop on my behind or soap in my mouth (also a good rule of thumb for parents).

But now I must dig deeper.  This commandment is directly connected to how I view myself. You Version Unqualified  

Do I truly see?  Do I truly know this Christ, this Lord that I am to be like?  Do I know what His identity entails?  Do I choose to take it and live it out or will I take it in vain...not living in a way that brings honor and lines up with the Lord my God?


Taking on His identity


7 You shall not use or repeat the name of the Lord your God in vain [that is, lightly or frivolously, in false affirmations or profanely]; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain. -Exodus 20:7 AMP


We see how the Amplified Bible says in brackets "profanely".  In the dictionary it goes way beyond our speech.  It says, "to treat (a holy place or object) with great disrespect."  That takes it to a whole new level beyond just our speech.

I guess my challenge today is, how am I taking the name of the Lord my God? 
How do I treat others?  How do I treat my own body?  How am I living this life?

God wants to give you His name in your situation, in your weakness, and in your need.  But you have to choose to take it. youversion quote


 
One of my favorite photos I have taken of my back yard.  Love it!!

This is post 500!!!  Thank you to all who have been reading this blog...all 500 posts.  It is a way that I dance. 

One of my favorite songs is I Hope You Dance and this blog is part of my dance. Thank you for being my dance partner and I hope the dance continues.  

No comments:

Post a Comment