hope sign

hope sign

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

24 Hours Is All?

How quick or often do we question the authority of God?


If we take a look at ourselves and be brutally honest, I think we would be surprised.  I had this "AHA!" moment yesterday as I was reading my devotional on YouVersion (link). The devotional is a 5 day study of "The Lies Of Busyness: Devotions From Time Of Grace".  I want to share with you what spoke to me...convicted me...exposed me...to transform me.

"There aren't enough hours in a day."
Have you ever said something like that?  I totally understand.  Sometimes life feels like you're running on a treadmill while someone keeps pushing the button to increase the speed faster and faster.
Twenty-four hours never feels like enough.  If only we had more time!  A couple extra hours a day would make all the difference!  Or maybe an extra week to able to catch up, right?  (How do I know your thoughts?  Because I have the exact same thoughts myself.)
The truth is God will accomplish through you what he needs to accomplish in the time available.  Our almighty God is the one who came up with 24-hour days after all.  If God thinks that's good enough, it is.  I love the end of the book of Job when God challenges Job's frustrations and puts him in his place for questioning God: "Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation?  Tell me, if you understand...Have you ever given orders to the morning, or shown the dawn it's place?" (Job 38:4, 12)
In other words, God's the boss man and he knows what he is doing.  You can wish for more time, but you're not going to get it.  You can't make your days longer.  What you can do is your best and leave the rest in God's hands.  After all, if everything in life depended on us, no amount of hours would ever, ever be enough.


When I read this, I felt pity for Job...I felt like Job must have felt when God put him in his place.  He is God...KIMI IS NOT!!!  

How many times to I question his authority in my life and in the world?  I think I do it absentmindedly with words like, "I wish", "God, I think", "I am only one person"...etc.  

How about I put my trust in my source...the source of life...JESUS.  The author of this devotional had it right..."if everything in life depended on us, no amount of hours would ever, ever be enough."  


The conclusion I came up with was, I must learn to rest in His authority.  Knowing who He is and who I am.  It's okay that I can't do everything, He didn't make me to be superwoman, super-daughter, supermom, super-pastor, super-teacher...He made me to do my best and let Him do the rest.  After all, He's the Master Creator.


It's comforting to know that the buck does not stop here, as long as I do my best.  

No comments:

Post a Comment