hope sign

hope sign

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Logistics...

Logistics...not a fun word for most.  Most of us just want to show up and wing it without giving the, "how can we accomplish this" or "what does this truly entail", another thought.  

Yesterday, I was at my son and daughter in law's house.  I was putting the baby furniture together, for hours.  The crib went pretty well, no big mistakes but the dresser is another story. 
 

First, let me start by saying, THANK GOD FOR POWER SCREWDRIVERS!!  I cannot imagine having to hand turn all those screws that came with Baby Bo's dresser.  Not to mention when I had to unscrew so many and then put it all back together again.  

Now, on to my story.  I recall telling Scovia that we should read all the directions before we started but I did not take my own advice.  I was so careful to look at the diagrams and make sure I had the right pieces and look what was right/left, front/back...or so I thought.  

Half way through, as I am putting the box of the dresser together, I notice that all but one bracket is in the wrong place...that is 24 screws that I have to undo, move, realign and then screw into the right place...all without ruining the work that has already been done.  AHHHHH!!!  My daughter in law is so patient with me.  She just smiles and keeps on helping me.  After I correct all my mistakes with the box, Scovia says, "Mom, do you want something to drink?"  I am so thankful for her.  She heads downstairs to get me a diet coke and I continue on to the next step...add box to base and then add dresser top.  Easy peasy, right, DONE.  I am so proud.  It's really looking like a dresser.  I am beaming with pride.  

Time to make the drawers.  I get right to it.  Scovia is right by my side and Jake comes in to help.  He says, "two of these are backwards."  "WHAT!!?"  I thought I had been so careful.  So, I take the two apart and correct my mistakes.  Now the drawers look great and Jake takes it over to the dresser to make sure everything fits.  "Mom, um, I think something is wrong."  My heart falls and now I am starting to get upset with this boy coming in here trying to point out all my imperfections.  I had put the box of the dresser on UPSIDE DOWN!!!!  That means, the dresser lid has to come off, the base has to come off, everything has to be flipped and reattached and I AM TIRED!  Jake looks at me and smiles.  I apologize to them and get right back to work fixing my mistakes.  

Yup, this is how I felt...not a smile in sight.

Finally, all the drawers go in without any problems.  We are looking at our work with pride and then I notice it...The dresser top is on backwards.  I holler out, "You've got to be kidding me!!!!"  They both look at me like I am a crazy women.  I tell them what I did.  

In the trying to get things done quickly, I forgot to check how the drawers would go into the box, so I put it on upside down...I put the dresser lid on backwards because I had handled it so much, I didn't pay attention to the details.  Logistics got me!!!  

Ain't nobody got time for that!!!

We sometimes are so familiar with something that we miss the most important details...like, the finished side is the front.  We do that with people, with work, with God.  We become so familiar that we miss what makes it special.  

You see the logistics of how to put the dresser together, the order of operations, the directions, if followed makes short work of the job.  If you miss a step, get out of order, or only do it halfway, the job is much harder and takes twice as long (if your lucky).  

I truly don't understand why some things have to be done but if I skip that step, nothing works like it should and the outcome is a little odd.  Even with the dresser top on wrong, it didn't hurt anything really but it looked strange.  So, I follow the directions of the one who created it and BOOM, it not only looks good but it works perfectly.  

How can a young person live a clean life?
    By carefully reading the map of your Word.
I’m single-minded in pursuit of you;
    don’t let me miss the road signs you’ve posted.
I’ve banked your promises in the vault of my heart
    so I won’t sin myself bankrupt.
Be blessed, God;
    train me in your ways of wise living.
I’ll transfer to my lips
    all the counsel that comes from your mouth;
I delight far more in what you tell me about living
    than in gathering a pile of riches.
I ponder every morsel of wisdom from you,
    I attentively watch how you’ve done it.
I relish everything you’ve told me of life,
    I won’t forget a word of it.
-Psalm 119: 9-16 MSG

We have a perfect book of directions, logistics, order of operations...THE WORD.  Pay attention to the details...what makes it special...you will benefit from it (We all do).  

No comments:

Post a Comment