hope sign

hope sign

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Thankful For Each Step


I am a blog reader.  I write a blog so I feel it is only right that I read some.

When I read some blogs, I feel so inadequate.  They seem to be amazing homemakers, writers, fabulous artists.  They have sponsors like Home Depot, Disney, Pottery Barn.  I love to read about their exciting lives and tidbits of wisdom they have for average 42 year old Grammys.  They inspire creativity and they love their families.

I look forward to reading their blogs and getting a sneak peek into the lives of these blogging goddesses.  Then I move the mouse to "New Post" and I sit, staring at my screen, wondering, debating, weighing my words before I type them into the computer.  Finally, I just have to write what is on my heart.  Not sure if I am inspirational or annoying.  Am I going too deep or am I just "fluff"?  But I must write what is on my heart, so that's what I do.

I have come across a saying a lot lately, "Comparison is a thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt and one I just read not too long ago, "Comparison is an act of violence against the self" by Iyanla Vanzant.

I enjoy writing my blog, I enjoy putting down my thoughts and sharing my heart.  When I start reading other blogs with an inward critical eye, I do steal the joy from myself.  It is that way with anything. Photography, art, how I raised my kids, how I clean my home, how I dress, how I talk, sing, laugh. We become so self critical that we become discontent.

When we are constantly looking at others lives, gifts, blessings and fail to see what we have as gifts and blessings, we start down a dangerous path.  A path of discontentment, disappointment, discouragement, discord, destruction.  I am not saying that we don't need to improve ourselves and grow but it has to come from a different place than jealousy and keeping up with the Joneses.

One lady wrote on her blog that she doesn't go on Pinterest any more.  She said that Pinterest made her feel inadequate and caused her to focus on perfection and things.  Now, Pinterest does not do that to me but I can see how it can happen.  She is smart for canceling her Pinterest account if it makes her discontent.

I still read blogs and I will continue to learn and be amazed at the glorious giftings of these women bloggers.  But, I will not allow comparison to steal the joy of writing from me.  I will grow and learn and hopefully improve and I will be thankful for each step I take on this path.

I have to remember, as a great preacher I know always says, "I am one of a kind, God designed, straight from His mind."-Don Bledsoe.

So I encourage you today, go and be who God created and gifted you to be.





4 comments: