hope sign

hope sign

Monday, October 21, 2013

What Unites Us?


What unites us as Christians?

What is our common ground?

Do we have to agree all the time?

Are our differences so important that we need to broadcast them 
and put others down every chance we get?


I know not everyone agrees 100% of the time.  We all come from different places, we have different experiences, it's in these experiences that our beliefs are formed and cultivated.  I was raised different than my husband.  He grew up farming, I grew up living above a church and then in a trailer on a piece of property.  We are different.  There isn't anything wrong with that.  As a matter of fact, it's a perk. 
But we do have some common ground.  

Common ground, that is what I want to focus on.  

I believe we spend too much time focusing on what separates us than what connects us.  

As Christians, what connects us?  Let's just look at 3 things.

1-The Blood of Jesus Christ.  If you are a believer, I assume you believe in the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ.  (If not, you will not like this post)

If we cannot agree on anything else, we can agree on this.  This alone makes you my brother or sister in Christ.  The blood shed by Jesus, unites us as family.  I can encourage you and you can encourage me. 

2- Baptism...wait, not the logistics but the fact that the Bible says to be saved and be baptized.  I don't care right now if you believe in baptizing babies, adults, teens; whether you believe, the top of the head is all that is needed or you go all the way with three dunks (not sure if anyone does that).  

3- God is Love.  We are loved by our Creator.  

If we can agree on these three things, we can build from there.  

I don't agree with my husband 100% of the time, but I still love him.  We don't focus on our differences...that would be torture.  No family gets along all the time, but we show love by using understanding and kindness.  

I want to show the world JESUS.  He said that they will know that I am His disciple by the love I have for my brother.  

John 13:35 MSG
Let me give you a new command;
Love one another,
in the same way I loved you,
you love one another.
This is how everyone will recognize
that you are my disciples-
when they see the love you have 
for one another.

1 Corinthians 1:10 MSG
I have a serious concern 
to bring up with you, my friends,
using the authority of Jesus, our Master.
I'll put it as urgently as I can:
You must get along with each other.
You must learn to be considerate of one another,
cultivating a life in common.

Let's focus on what unites us and not what separates us.  


No comments:

Post a Comment