hope sign

hope sign

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The WHO And The WHERE...

I love this of Bo…the light shining
all around him.
How important is it that we teach our children what we believe?  No matter your beliefs, are you teaching what you believe to your children?  Are you making sure they have the foundation that will sustain them into fully functioning adults?

I have heard so many times, "I want my children to decide what they believe and not push my beliefs on them."  That is not what the scripture says to do.  It is our responsibility as parents to make sure our children have a full understanding of what we believe.  If we give them the information and live our beliefs then when they are old enough, they will be able to make an informed decision.

 Deuteronomy 6:6-9 (MSG), "Write these commandments that I've given you today on your hearts.  Get them inside you and then get them inside your children.  Talk about them wherever you are, sitting at home or walking in the street; talk about them from the time you get up in the morning to when you fall into bed at night.  Tie them on your hands and foreheads as a reminder; inscribe them on the doorposts of your homes and on your city gates."

As I was reading this scripture this morning, it hit me, have we failed to do this?  Do our kids really truly know what we believe?  I am speaking as a Christian woman and parent.  Did I do all I could to teach my children about Jesus and the Christian faith?  Was I consistent?  Did I talk it and walk it?  Was my home a place that said, "This is a Christian home"?

My children are all raised now but I do have a grandson and I will have more grand children.  I must look at my life and see if there is anything that needs adjusting.  So my children and grandchildren will know WHO their source is.  So they will know WHO to run to in times of trouble.  When they have questions and need direction, they will know WHO is the answer and WHERE to look.  No, the who and where is not me…it is JESUS and His WORD.

I have been reading that so many American young adults have begun to leave the church because they are not even sure what it is all about.  They have went into more strict religions because they want to belong and have something to hold onto.  We have to get beyond the pizza party youth groups and get back into the WORD of GOD.  Give them the meat of the WORD.  We have been so afraid to be real that we have watered down the Gospel to the point that our children are drowning in nominal Christianity and it is killing them.  They have turned to the world, consumer lifestyles,  drugs and false religions that bring nothing but death.

It's time to get back to the basics of teaching them in all we do.  Talk it, walk it, show them, write it down for them…on and on and on.  Never stop.  Tell them the stories and give them meat.  Put the weight of the WORD on them, they can handle it.  It's real, it's amazing, it's wonderful…IT'S JESUS!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment