hope sign

hope sign

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Roberta Dunn…lived a life of LOVE

When in your life has someone done something for you, totally unselfish, not wanting accolades, just because they love you?  When I went to sleep last night I was thinking of such a person from long ago.  

When I was about the third grade, we had a school at our church.  It was called River of Life Bible Christian Academy.  It was a very small school but it was wonderful.  My parents worked in the school and were (still are) Pastors of the church.  My dad served as Principal and Mom was the secretary.  We lived above the church in a small apartment.  It's obvious we were totally immersed into the church life.

Being Pastors and workers in the school, Mom and Dad didn't make much money and I do believe that if not enough came in, they did not take a salary.  So we wore our clothes until they just didn't fit anymore and our shoes until they fell apart or were just way too small.  

I don't think I ever allowed my shoes to become too small because I was rough on shoes.  I was rough on everything.  I loved to play outside and I played hard.  I think I ran everywhere and I didn't care how I looked.  I was a tomboy.  I loved to play war.  All of us did.  We would play war outside for hours.  Other kids would come over and play war with us.  

Mom and Dad bought me a new pair of shoes for school at the beginning of the year.  I don't think it was even half way through when I had damaged my them.  My shoes were now able to talk to me when I walked.  I had ripped those suckers up.  I don't even remember it bothering me.  I guess I just didn't care.  Of course I didn't have to walk far, just down the stairs to get to school or church, so the weather wasn't a problem.

I had a teacher named, Roberta Dunn.  She was a short little round woman with long black hair and a heart of gold.  She really didn't like to show others how much she cared.  She had a very shy part to her personality.  She loved rules, God, church, school, her family and our family.  She told me one day that she was taking me to lunch as a special treat and then to get some new shoes.  She informed me that she already asked my parents but that I was to tell no one who got me the new shoes.  I of course agreed.  I don't really remember anything else about that day.  I know my siblings must have asked me where I got the new shoes but I don't remember.  I just know how thankful I was and I kept her secret for years.

Roberta didn't have to do that for me and my family.  She did it out of the kindness of her heart.  She lived a life of love.  I was married with children when Roberta was in an accident that took her life.  She is missed in our lives.  I just want to honor her today.  I can't say it to her now but I will tell everyone who reads this blog how thankful I am that Roberta Dunn was a part of our lives.  She did so many acts of kindness for our family and church over the years.  

Go out today, live a life of love.  It doesn't have to cost money, it could be a smile or hug or a listening ear.  There are so many ways you can make a difference in someones life.  

Roberta I know has received a great reward in heaven.

  The scripture says in Matthew 25:40b "Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me."

This is around the time of the purchase
Roberta is the first teacher on the left…in white shirt

This is Roberta with her nephew Todd
and her nieces Danyel & Rachelle

No comments:

Post a Comment