hope sign

hope sign

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Constant Changes

We go through many stages in life.  Even as adults we are still growing and learning and changing.  I have been an adult since I was 17 years old.  I guess I should say that I have had adult responsibilities since I was 17 years old.  I took on these responsibilities willingly.  I got married at 17 and had Jake at 18.  By the time I turned 20 I was 8 months pregnant with Juliana and at 21 we welcomed Kelcie Lorraine into the world.  I barely remember being in my 20's.  But by my 30's I was in a groove.  I had 3 children 9, 10 & 11 and we were constantly on the move.  Bo accused me of having wheels on my butt because I never stayed home.

I went through my 30's with ease until I started to near my 40's.  It was then that I became a grandmother.  Our life of teens and young adults became a life of baby things and baby smells.  Now I have come full circle.  I am now a stay at home Grammy.  I love being home with my grandson.  It helps ease the knowledge that all my kids are grown and at 41 I could be experiencing Empty Nest any day.  Of course I am back to preschool shows, Full House, sippy cups…IT'S GREAT!

The learning part comes into play with that I am NOT the Mommy.  I have been comfortable with the fact that in our home, I am the mommy but now that Henry has been born, I have a new role…GRAMMY.  With being Grammy, you have some of the same responsibilities but usually you have a lot more freedom.  With each stage of Henry's little life we are all adjusting in the VanDyke home.  His Mommy has been through the most changes.  It is not easy being the daughter and the mommy in the same house.

Pretty soon we will be going through another change.  In January, Juliana is getting married and moving out.  Of course she will be taking Henry with her.  We are all going to have to make adjustments there.  Our home will become much quieter and we will have toy free areas.  This will not be an easy change for us.  Henry will then be going to Grammy & Pop's house when he comes over instead of it being called home.

1991- I was 19 years old
1991- Turned 20

In my 30's

Each change in my adult life has brought its own challenges and surprises.  I am so thankful that we never stop growing and changing.  I think life would get very boring if everything stayed the same.  I didn't feel ready to become a Grammy at 39 but Henry is the best surprise ever.  Remember that God will be there to get you through the scary time of change.  2 Timothy 1:7 says, "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind."  

I hope you embrace the changes that come no matter what.  It will help you enjoy your blessed life.


No comments:

Post a Comment